DF Novices - Merging Weapon Skills

    There had been some discussion on GURPS blogs in the last month regarding merging weapon skills. The recent discussion has got me thinking again on the topic.

Possible weapon skill mergers for GURPS DF Felltower
Merging GURPS Weapon Skills

    Previously I had not bothered to merge skills mid-campaign, but I will try it now for this new game as it is early and players have not yet finalised their characters. For now I think I will keep it simple:

Shortsword and Broadsword are merged into a single skill: One-Handed Sword.

Shield and Shield (Buckler) are merged into a single skill: Shield.

Rapier, Sabre* , and Smallsword are merged into a single skill: Fencing.

Existing defaults to or from the original skills will be kept as is**. 

---

* As opposed to a saber, which is 
only ever Light (or very occasionally Dark) in my experience.

** As long as that is sensible. If I somehow find a case where that isn't, then in that instance they won't.

Comments

  1. Had you considered merging Axe/Mace with Hammer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hammer would already fall under Axe/Mace anyway, I feel. There is no separate Hammer skill in GURPS.

      Delete
  2. Also like the Staff, Polearm, Spear combo as I frequently envision a spearman fighting with a spear used per Spear skill and also Quarterstaff skill. So one or two handed stabbing, big wide sweeps, strikes with butt and shaft. Spear should be very versatile in the hands of an experienced wielder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had considered it, but decided against. Unlike shields and one-handed swords, spears and staves have different stats around reach/grip/handedness, and parries. I didn't want to adjudicate on that for now, so I left them as separate skills.

      Delete
    2. Ah well, have to continue to take both Spear and Quarterstaff skills to make it feel like I imagine it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts