DF Novices, Team-A, Session 53 - Doran's Log

 We played tonight. Here is an in-character report from the player of Doran. As always, I am giving out an Impulse Point to any player who writes a summary for the blog.

Session Date:    Tuesday 14 November 2023

Party roster:

Ben, half-ogre barbarian, 132 points (PC)
Doran Longbeard
, dwarf knight, 162 points (PC)
Eleanor Bayley, human thief, 191 points (PC)
Dagne, human cleric, 125 points (NPC Hireling)
Erizax Ofaris, human wizard, 195 points (PC)
Randall, human veteran, 135 points (NPC)
Yorgen Gant, human knight (squire), 91 points (PC)
Ulokk, half-ogre thief, 85 points (NPC)

------

The fight resumed with me face-to-face with a goblin and a giant orcish-rat attacking my friends behind me. My second hit on the goblin was so good he didn’t even get a chance to defend but things kind of went down from there. It took several hits, and help from Ben, but I eventually managed to knock the goblin down. And then I had a decision to make. 

I turned to see the giant rat just a few yards from me and a whole horde of goblins surrounding the rest of the party. Do I try to take down the big guy? Or do I take out all the little ones and leave that to someone else potentially more capable? Of course, as is typical for me, as soon as I got to him, Ben managed to take the bloody thing out in one hit. I mean the others had already injured him of course but it was still frustrating that I didn’t even get to slash him once. 

With Yorgen and his big mouth, Ben’s overwhelming strength and my lack of a Battleaxe, I was starting to feel rather small. But I am a member of a team, whether we have a name or not, so I’m definitely glad the orcish rat got taken down either way. 

...

As soon as the rat was down the rest of the goblins ran away and the rest of the party dashed to Dagne’s aid. Randall told me to make sure the rat-man was dead so I started slashing at him, only instead of dying, he got back up!

So whilst the party continued getting Dagne as well as possible (it always sucks when it’s your healer who is down), Ben and I started fighting him again but we didn’t seem to be doing much. Then Yorgen stepped up to help. I had to parry on his behalf but shortly after, he slashed the rat with his sword and it was clear he’d done some damage. He’d previously boasted about his sword being silver so I decided to drop my hatchet (yes I know ‘not a good idea, you don’t want to lose another axe’) and fast-draw my special silver dagger. It was finding this dagger that reminded me I could use knives in the first place, so using it feels kind of special. Especially if it can do something to this monstrosity. 

However, before I even got a chance to slash him, he decided to come for me. This did put him in close combat with me which made using my dagger easier but almost destroyed my lovely new shield in the process. Inevitably, Yorgen hit him again and he ‘died’ before I got my chance. I honestly feel like I did nothing useful at all during this fight and yet I ended it completely exhausted and with a shield hanging by its last thread. I managed to stab the rat in the eye once before collapsing beside it. 

Once I regained a bit of energy I had a look at the weaponry of our enemies. The rat thing had a decent axe, although unbalanced (blegh). And the nearby goblin had an ok shield which definitely felt necessary to take, on top of that he had a really cool looking flail which seemed to be at least silver coated. It’s not my go-to weapon but flails are cool and if I learnt one thing in this fight, it’s that silver can be useful at times. So I tucked it into my belt just in case, strapped my fancy shield to my back and attached the goblin’s to my arm, ready to get out of this mine safely. 

Comments

Popular Posts