Polytheism in History and Gaming

A few days ago Peter D posted links to the following series by Bret Devereaux on Practical Polytheism. I am reposting the links below so that I can easily find them again.

Collections: Practical Polytheism, Part I: Knowledge
Collections: Practical Polytheism, Part II: Practice
Collections: Practical Polytheism, Part III: Polling the Gods
Collections: Practical Polytheism, Part IV: Little Gods and Big People

Having read the series through once, I can say it is excellent. Understanding how historical polytheists believed and acted in regards to their faith and religious practices can help us better represent polytheism in roleplaying and fiction.

I would say that I understood some of these concepts from previous things I have read elsewhere, but I probably haven't done a great job of conveying the distinction to my players. This series is definitely useful for my ongoing fantasy game. I will no doubt reread it in future.

Comments

Popular Posts