DF Novices, Team-A, Session 49 - Diary of Yorgen Gant

    Merrill has temporarily left the team and gone off on a solo journey (as presaged in his last summary). In his absence, Yorgen Gant and Ulokk have been recruited to provide some extra muscle for Team A. These two characters were previously seen in the B Team game played back in July-August of this year (as recounted by Yorgen). That adventure ended about 3 months ago, by the in-game calendar.

    What follows is an in-character tale from the player of Yorgen. As always, 
I am giving out an Impulse Point to any player who writes a session summary for the blog.

Session Date:    Tuesday 17 October 2023

Party roster:

Ben, half-ogre barbarian, 132 points (PC)
Doran Longbeard
, dwarf knight, 162 points (PC)
Eleanor Bayley, human thief, 191 points (PC)
Dagne, human cleric, 125 points (NPC Hireling)
Erizax Ofaris, human wizard, 195 points (PC)
Randall, human warrior, 135 points (NPC)
Yorgen Gant, human knight (squire), 91 points (PC)
Ulokk, half-ogre thief, 85 points (NPC)

Campaign Date:    25 September, Year 645 of the Vycenaean Empire.

------

Diary of Yorgen Gant:

    To say that my search for Ser Landonn is not going well would be, I believe, the greatest understatement ever uttered in Low Vycenaean. It has been months and I have gotten nowhere, with nary a sight nor even the rumour of a trace of my Knight's passage through the land. I am beginning to suspect that I have been played false, and that Squire Bergholdt, untrustworthy creature that he is, has done for myself and Ser Landonn what he did for his own Knight Ser Callowmere. I am lost, marooned in this wilderness, with neither the coin nor the means to leave and continue my search.

And Bergholdt, that vile snake, may yet have proven to be a positive influence in these lands, though through no fault of his own. I cannot deny that this neglected corner of the Empire has seen better days and is crying out for champions. There is evil abound, and a political situation too complex to even contemplate without further information. Information which, let us be clear about this, I am not likely to get until I have had a chance to be presented to the Duke. But the Duke quite rightly doesn't receive unknown squires, and I have been reduced to selling my services as a common sellsword, though much good has come of this regardless. The details of these exploits are many and varied, and I may yet write them down, but now I must contrain myself to the more pressing of matters. That I, Yorgen Gant, Squire to Ser Landonn, oath sworn to protect the Emperor, the Empire, and all its citizens, have failed in my oath, and have even been guilty of breaking my word.

That I had not been aware of this until very recently does not make it better. Quite the contrary, it only highlights my complacency.

I can clearly remember telling Rodor and his compatriots that the mine north of town was free of threat, having ascertained such with my stalward friend Ulokk soon after arriving in Bridgegate and after slaying several goblin skirmishers. 

Imagine then my surprise when I heard through the usual methods that a group of adventurers was looking to hire an extra sword, for the express purpose of clearing out the mines. My blood ran cold, and I hastened to the inn where they had chosen to receive their applicants, though I did not espy a large line out of the door. I did behold, however, a group of people I had seen on and off in town for some weeks now, and I thus made myself known to the one rumoured to be their leader, a half-ogre that appears strong even for his kind. The man appeared uncertain after I gave him my name, and the interview was taken over by one of lesser stature but with, it quickly appeared to me, greater wit.

Thus with Eleanor, of clear red haired lineage, it was agreed that both myself and Ulokk would join them into the mines, for the sum of five Staters each. I would have accepted the work for free, to cleanse the stain on my honour, but these adventurers did not seem to me the type to understand such ideals, and might even have been suspicious of one refusing payment for work. At any rate, I know Ulokk would never consent to work for free, and I cannot blame my companion. Even in a town this size living is expensive, and all the coin we had earned over the past few months has already evaporated. I agreed to meet these adventurers by the gate at dawn, the right and proper time to begin a quest.

To my slight surprise, they did in fact appear at the appointed time and in the appointed place, though some seemed to be more awake than others. The one called Erizax in particular seemed less than kindly disposed towards me, and I suspect this is due to the hour of our departure. Also of red haired lineage, he has the air of a scholar about him, and I have yet to meet a book worm that could be roused willingly from his bed before the sun was at least a hand's breadth above the horizon. Always in time for breakfast, to be sure, but never in time to see the noble Knights ride out to protect the Empire.

I should not grumble. Knowledge is as important to the Empire as a strong sword arm, but I suspect the dislike is thoroughly mutual.

From conversation on the way to the mines, I gathered that this was not the group's first foray into the stygian depths of the old silver mine. But their tales of encounters there seem very far fetched and clearly exaggerated. There is not enough space in that mine for all the creatures they claim to have found and slain there. But I have not traveled with a large band of like minded adventurers in some time, so I dismissed the talk as mere puffery. All warriors boast of their exploits, though Knights never stoop to do so among their peers. Such inflated tales are reserved for the Halls, aye and the feast table afterwards.

There was some odd debate as to who was to be at the front of our advance. Is this not perfectly simple? I told them I was trained by the finest swordsman in the Empire (though they oddly had to ask which Empire, as if they did not realise they were in the Vycenaean Empire even as the question was asked), and that I had slain a warband of Orcs in open battle, so naturally I should be the one at the front. Eventually the comprise was reached that I should share the honour of the front with the half-ogre Ben, and a silently intense dwarf by the name of Doran. Doran, at least, seems to have invested in his equipment, and hefts his axe with a skill that can only be gained through utter dedication. I felt a sudden sense of kinship then with this dwarf, though there was no opportunity to engage in conversation. We were, after all, advancing into the lair of evil.

Or so at least I thought.

Behind the front line, the rest of the adventuring party seemed intent on carrying on a constant conversation at what appeared to me the full volume their voices were capable of. I agreed with them that there is little point in stealth when both myself and Doran clink and clank with each step, and the equipment of my companions seems to glow with intense light, but I reminded them that while light may not pass around corners, sound most certainly will. I should like to think that it was this chastisement that led to a reduction in chatter, but it may very well have been the arrival at the secret door that did the work for me.

It was, as always, but a matter of a moment for Ulokk to determine that the door was unlocked, an uncanny thing that happens often in his presence, even if others have maintained that the door is in fact locked. They have always been proven wrong. How this odd phenomenon comes about, I have taken pains not to inquire.

Through the secret door then when Doran, and I quickly after the brave dwarf, finding ourselves in an empty room, and another unlocked door. It was through this door that months ago Ulokk and I found the sack of rocks which so excited Rodor's spirits, and I remembered vividly the fight we had with the goblin skirmishers in this very room before once more Doran, Ben, and I set off through the door and into the corridor.

It was in this corridor that the enemy finally fell upon us. Further down a door opened, and through this aperture shambled six undead, coming directly towards us. I ran forward to take up a defensive position, and was gratified to notice that the indomitable Doran followed my lead and posted up on my shield side, while Ben stood firm to the left of Doran's shield. Thus we effectively blocked the hallway, and met the onslaught of undead.

The details of the fight I shall spare you, but suffice to say that they proved to be sturdy opponents. Doran even struck at my enemy, as if worried I might not be able to defend myself, but with a broadsword in my hand I was soon driving into them. It was not until one of the foul creatures managed to get a good hit in to Doran that I throw caution to the wind, roared a cry, and drove into the undead horde with all the speed and skill I could command. Ben too seemed invigorated, and Doran soon recovered of his shock, finishing off the undead who had nearly done for him, and which I had moments earlier brought to its knees with a particularly vicious blow.

It was, as I believe it is phrased on common, soon over bar the wailing. A search for unknown doors followed, and we rested in what had once been the dormitory of the foul creatures that infested this mine. No more enemies were found, and I was just congratulating my now companions when they mentioned our task had but just begun.

How could that be, I asked? Had we not cleared every room and every corridor in this mine?

Nay, they cried, for there is much more to this complex once one gets beyond the secret door.

What secret door?! I exclaimed, feeling my stomach sink.

And so it proved. When Ulokk and I were here last, we had utterly missed one hidden door, and thus missed the greatest concentration of our enemies. What fool I felt! What a poltroon! To have assured innocent people of their safety, only to let them return to an area infested with goblins, orcs, hobgoblins and even undead!

On the spot, I informed my compatriots that I would not take any coin for this work. Ulokk, within the passing of a single heartbeat, clarified that he would be taking my share. Bless him, but he deserves every copper.

And so we venture on, beyond the secret door, and into the underground complex where we expect to find the concentration of evil we seek to purge. And so I venture on, in hopes of restoring my honour.

Comments

Popular Posts