Davin's diary - Session 50

The following is an IC summary written by Davin's player. The PC appears upset about something...

As usual, I am giving +1 CP for those players that submit a summary for me to post here on the blog. 

---

Abandoned Pride


My pride is apparently meaningless to my companions.

Not even an hour had passed from my declaring that it required us to push on when my companions decide to slink back to the keep with their tails between their legs. Literally in Miao's case. They also ignored my advice about finding away to dispose of the bodies, I suspect leaving corpses lying around in a region renown for it's necromancers may return to haunt us- that's probably going to be literal too.

Whilst we were discussing that and other matters, we realized that Llandor had wandered off- as elves tend to do in the forest- and without him the group didn't think they'd be able to make it to the caverns.

I thought we should push on and let him catch up, but was voted down.

Nevermind that I'd got directions from the Keep.
Nevermind that I assured them I knew the way.
Nevermind that I grew up by the Emberwood, a forest as dark and sinister as any in this realm,
Nevermind that I just yesterday finished helping Llandor guide us here safely, all the way from Marsh Town, with our only misstep being Warian's slightly bruised ankle.
Nevermind that I can walk skyward, to get a vantage point on the land far better than the ranger ever could.
Nevermind that we were all in perfect health and well rested,
Nevermind that I'd just declared, as a point of personal pride, that we should push on.
No, it's FAR more important that we go back to town, to waste money hiring a guide who could do for a small fortune what I was willing and able to do for free, making a humiliating slog back to the keep we just left a few hours ago.
I'd have pushed on by myself, but I didn't trust them not to get lost on the way back and I'd have felt guilty if they'd got themselves killed.
The only good thing about the experience is at least that awful stench dissipated on the way back.

I suggested Miao try to hire someone that could speak to the goblinoids infesting the cave then went to the temple to check to see if they had any useful scrolls for sale.
When I came back, Miao had not only hired a guide but also half the tavern- it seems having bankrupted herself, she has decided it's unfair some of the rest of us have money and is determined to bankrupt the rest of us as well.

The three they hired seem nice enough- Ulia was a skilled scout, as capable of getting us to our destination as I would have been, but much quicker to leave as soon as we got there.
They also hired two of the local guards (for far, far over the normal asking price, of course), Gregus and Mace.
They are brave but not that well equipped, so I'm a bit concerned as to their well-being, Gregus has a sword and a stout looking shield, but Mace just has a mace (and seems to be about as sharp as one)- I suspect he'll hit hard, but I'm not sure how good he'll be at fending off our attackers without a cloak or a shield. Neither of them have heavy armour of any kind.
Unfortunately, I forgot to ask if they speak Goblin, I'll have to remember to do that when next we chat.

Ulia did stick around long enough to point out a couple of the caves in the region- one she knew was infested with Goblins another she was able to point out to us, but she didn't know what inhabited it.

These 'Caves of Chaos' seem like an interesting place- more than a dozen caves in a horseshoe-shaped ravine, a dozen or more caves dotting the cliff face, various different heights and different signs of activity. Childerbert crept down there to scout, whilst I created an illusory hunter's blind in the sky so that I could observe his progress from a distance.
He came back having found an extra, hidden cave and a cave guarded by Kobolds.

During the time he was scouting, Miao had gotten bored- and I have to admit I was a touch impatient myself as well- so we'll go explore the goblin cave first of all.

We're using a new formation this time- Childerbert scouting, Miao, Mace and Myself at the front, with Miriam, Warian and Jenkins behind.
Finally, we've asked Gregus to take the rearguard position, to keep an eye on Warian and Jenkins.
I'm confident that the goblins shouldn't prove too much trouble for our band, it should be a good opportunity to get used to our new formation and new companions.

Comments

Popular Posts