Davin's diary - Session 49

The following is an IC summary written by Davin's player. This is for the session that occurred on 21 Nov. As usual, I am giving +1 CP for those players that submit a summary for me to post here on the blog. 
---

Three Mistakes


 The ambush took less than twenty seconds. In that time I made three mistakes and three of our party- myself included, were badly injured. 

 It started suddenly, hobgoblins materialising from nowhere, three of them surrounding Llandor as he scouted ahead. Miao and I rushed forward as quickly as we could to try to aid him. 

 This was my first mistake. I didn't check for other attackers, didn't cover our flanks, didn't think, only reacted. Two more of the hobgoblins got in Miao's way as she charged forward, swish, stab and they were gone, cut down in seconds. Llandor was deftly evaded the crude blades of his opponents- but their wild swings were enough to keep him from recovering his balance and regaining the opportunity to counter attack. 

 Meanwhile, Childerbert was engaged another among the trees, I later found out he'd disarmed it by way of a tree-trunk, his smaller statue superior for fighting within the confined space below the branches. 

 After a few tense seconds, Llandor recovered his footing and was off, zipping away from his opponents before impaling one of them with a lethal arrow that swung the battle in our clear favour.

 The two hobs that had been fighting him, realising they had no chance of catching the fleet-footed archer and would only get killed if they gave chase, charged forwards instead. We were were distracted by the realisation of my first mistake-the sound of Jenkin's crossbow firing alerted us that more hobgoblins had appeared from the other side of the trees Childerbert was fighting in and were advancing on Miriam, Jenkins and Warian. 

 I assured Miao I would handle the two hobs who'd given up chasing Llandor and were coming towards us and she rushed, swift as an arrow, to deal with them. Having seen her handle our first two attackers in an instant, I assumed that she'd have little trouble handling the rest and turned to face the approaching pair. This was my second mistake. 

 The fear and confusion on the charging hobgoblins as I simply stepped up out of their reach was absolutely priceless. Realising they had now faced two foes too mobile for them to assault they turned to flee. 

 It is a cruel world that forced a harsh decision but I could not allow them to escape. Heading as we are towards a hostile area filled with an unknown amount of opposition the fact they do not know we are coming is our biggest advantage. To preserve that edge, I bound them in Glue and, compounding my second mistake, decided to practice my blade-work on them. I'm trying hard to learn but it's difficult to practice such dangerous skills in a live environment, so I thought it would make an important opportunity. Had I simply used my more destructive magics to dehydrate or ice-knife them quickly, things might have turned out differently. 

 Whilst I was dealing with that, the battle was not going so well outside of the scope of my attention. 

 Apparently Childerbert and Llandor had become stalled- they had the situation well in hand but the hobgoblin they were facing proved remarkably arrow-resistant and just wouldn't stop fighting. I looked at the corpse after all was done, the creature had been shot at least three times and repeatedly driven into the dirt by Childerbert and had *still* keep fighting, right up until Llandor put an arrow through it's skull at point-blank range. It slowed the pair of them down considerably, even if they were both unharmed. 

 Miao had appeared on the scene to protect the trio of Miriam, Jenkins and Warian but alas, despite inflicting grave wounds in her initial assault, Mr. Stabby had another of his bouts of narcolepsy leaving Miao faced off with one hobgoblin with only a knife in her hands, whilst Miriam stepped forth to fight the other with a little magical aid from Warian. 

 Miriam fought valiantly, but was overpowered by the savage creature and despite the healing power that Warian was pouring into her, collapsed to the floor. The beast loomed over her, preparing to finish the devote one, but the twin gods of Marsh Hall must have been looking over her, for at that moment Jenkins finished reloading the crossbow- a beautiful shot taking the victorious hobgoblin down as it prepared to finalise its triumph. 

 Whilst that was occurring, one of my own hobgoblins had escaped the glue and, to my horror, was heading straight for Warian. Whether the brave acolyte was trying to intercept it, or just happened to be in it's path when it broke free, I don't know. But I raced after the fleeing creature to lunge at it with my knife and in so doing, made my third mistake. I got too low, surrendered my height advantage to bait it into attacking myself instead of Warian and I would pay a price for that decision. 

 My taunts, attacks and a Dehydration were enough to draw it's focus from Warian but after a couple of seconds it slipped past my guard. With it having got in a lucky shot after charging around to my flank, my Shield spell did not protect me and my charge had brought me too low for my Air Walk to help me evade - the pain was excruciating and it was all I could do to stagger back as I struggled to maintain the spell that kept the other hobgoblin trapped. Jenkins rushed over to help, charging the hob to drive it back from Warian and myself, but our enemy struck him down with a contemptuous blow, leaving him prone and bloody on the forest floor. I started to gather my energy, to prepare for one last spell to drive off or kill the beast but luckily Miao's knife and Llandor's arrow manifested suddenly in the two remaining hobgoblins and brought the fight to a sudden and final conclusion. 

 Miriam and Warian set about healing the party, whilst I sought to lend Warian my energy to aid his healing magic- unfortunately the pain and disruption of the spell warped my intent and I accidentally wove in some of the runic words of my illusions into the spell, creating a vile stench. It's disgusting and I don't have the energy to purify the air of it yet. I'll be making that a priority, just as soon as I have strength enough to stand. Then we need to push on. I have no desire to return to the fort without even laying eyes upon our destination. 

Onward, to the Caves of Chaos!

Comments

Popular Posts