DFRPG Kickstarter Rewards Arrive!

I collected the package from the post office today. Thankfully it was indeed the DFRPG box reprint plus Monsters 2 book, as I had convinced myself last night. None of it stuff I needed a hardcopy of, but physical books on the shelf and definitely nicer to read. GURPS Mysteries and GURPS Mass Combat are both good books, but they aren't DF focused; however I've only had them in digital form until now. The other consideration is that I really wanted the KS to fund, so I overspent to a somewhat stupid degree (including some expensive digital add-ons not featured in today's delivery), just to make sure that Monsters 2 made it to print.

I do find the pocket journals a bit disappointing; they are slightly smaller and much thinner than I expected. And I hope that the other monsters, the ones that were to be included with the unobtained KS stretch goals, do eventually make it into another DF publication at some point. 


Of all the material here, what excites me most is the Pyramid Dungeon Collection. Perhaps that's because I know the content of the other books already. When I backed the KS, I think I was confused between this and the Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected which I got in PDF. Ultimately I got both, although I think I have the former in print only and the latter in PDF only. I think that Pyramid Dungeon Collection may not be available on Warehouse 23 yet; perhaps SJG wanted to make sure that we all got our rewards from the KS first. 




I've only flipped through it (PDC) briefly, but it looks very promising, and feels quite hefty. It is 128 pages of articles from out of print Pyramid articles, updated for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (and to a lesser extent DFRPG, for whatever that distinction matters). Looks like at least 50% of the collection is Matt Riggsby, so that bodes well. I enjoy Mr Riggsby's writing, even if I don't end up using the material. It looks like there is so much in this book, that I'm sure some of it can be shoehorned into my campaign.

Flipping through the phyiscal book of Monsters 2, I think I realise why I feel slightly underwhelmed. It's nothing to do with the writing (Sean Punch _is_ Dungeon Fantasy). I think it's the colour artwork of the monsters; it feels somehow not to my taste, for a reason I can't quite put my finger on. Still, more monsters are always good to have, and I'm sure that some of them will see use in my DF game.


All in all, an exciting delivery!

Comments

Popular Posts